The National Stud in Kladruby nad Labem
The aim of the project is to bring the important cultural heritage to the original form, to respect the history of its development and in its context to present the stud farm as proof of hippological culture in our area. Part of the project is the intention to restore the stud's logo in a form that would, along with the mission, respects its historical development.
Since 1938, Kladruber Horses have been branded with an owner branding iron (letter K) on a left cheek.
The renewed logo should clearly and comprehensibly express the connection of The National Stud at Kladruby nad Labem with the development of its historical and contemporary mission. The long-standing symbol of the stud was an owner branding iron, documenting the quality of farmed horses. The unifying part of the branding iron was the letter "K". According to some authors, its form was "linear", according to others its form was “stylized”. The linear form was used throughout the spectrum of the branding iron development, either alone or in combination. For this reason, the letter "K" should remain dominant also within the considered symbol innovation.
The central motif is the capital letter K, which refers to the branding iron which has been used on horses in Kladruby since the Austro-Hungarian Empire and its use symbolizes the return to the roots. The introduction of visual identity is another step that gets The National Stud at Kladruby nad Labem closer to the enrollment on the UNESCO World Heritage List. After a challenging year and a half long reconstruction of the object comes another important task and that is a new logo and a visual style.
“The basis of the visual style is the logotype in the form of the letter K in a serif font, which is known to be the label of Kladruber Horses”, explains the designer Vítek Škop and Markéta Steinert adds “The crown above the letter K is a reference to the royal origin of the stud. We took the symbol from heraldic traditions (as it was used on the edging of imperial flags)” and adapted it to a modern style.”
The minimalist style of the logotype is followed by the striking photographs of the Kladruber Horses from the photographers Patrik Borecky and Tomas Brabec. The combination of strong black and white photographs and logotype is a balanced visual style of the National Stud farm Kladruby nad Labem.
“The photographs were designed in black and white variants - primarily as a reference to two types of Kladruber Horses (black and white). Kladruber Horses were used for ceremonial purposes, so we photographed them in a typical position with a bowed head. “We wanted to find an honourable way how to photograph them and avoid classical cheeky snaps in motion.”
In 1563 the Emperor Maxmillian II of Habsburg founded a stud farm in Kladruby nad Labem and in 1579 his successor, Emperor Rudolph II of Habsburg granted it a charter as the Imperial Court Stud Farm. Kladruber Horses were together with the most famous "Lipizzans" were the most prized horses in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. One of Kladruber Horses, a four-year-old breeder Favory Alta XXI, was given to Prince William as a wedding gift from the Czech Republic.